The sandwich feedback technique is a popular technique which has three-steps. It is a useful techniques for the managers who find it difficult to give feedback.
- The top layer The feedback session should begin with a compliment i.e. a positive note.
- The middle layer– lettuce represents transition,The middle layer – stuffing represents the actual feedback. This layer is to review the situation or to review the actuals against the standard goals.
- And the bottom layer represents closing : This layer consists of the motivation.
The Top Layer
- The top layer of compliment will break the ice.
- Do not to exaggerate or overdo by using too many big adjectives like “wonderful ” or “extraordinary.”
- Make sure the compliment is genuine.
- Commenting on performance, with figures show you are sincere and appreciate their efforts.
- Try to be specific, telling someone “I appreciate your behaviour,” might be too vague.
The Middle Layer
- This layer offers constructive criticism.
- It has to be short, and clear.
- Don’t make him leave your office confused or exhausted.
- Try to limit of points of criticism.If there are more, take them in future meetings , once they have worked on the critical one.
- Always encourage the person receiving the person to speak. Do not make it a monologue.
- Actively involve him in the process of solving the issue at hand. This improves their problem solving skills and critical thinking.
- Active participation of the person indicates ownership of the person.
- Be calm and don’t be judgmental.
- Allow them to share their side of story.
- Look for agreeable course of action.
The bottom Layer
- Motivate the person before he leaves your people. Reinstate the initial compliment.
- Thank them for their participation and professionalism.
- Appreciate their professionalism and work ethic (if they are good).
- Let them know, you trust them
Your sales figures are quite impressive . You have met your goals for this quarter . I must say I’m impressed and glad you have busted your targets by 110%.
But I’ve noticed your data suggests that it is one product that contributes the most of sales. I am not sure if you are doing the proper need analysis before suggesting a product to your customer. This will give you additional business. What do you think?
I am sure that your performance will touch skies in the next quarter.and I’ve always known you as a true professional, and honestly our conversation today just confirmed it for me.
Benefits of Sandwich Technique
- It is easier to discuss behaviour related issues, if this discussion begins and ends with praising the employee.
- Giving feedback is not an easy task and managers are fearful about giving feedbacks . The technique it makes it easy for the managers, to give the corrective feedbacks.
- The reaction of the person taking feedback is contained because of the technique.
- It softens the impact of the criticism or corrective feedback.
- Everyone likes being praised and compliments. The individual receiving feedback comes into listening mode, because the session starts on a positive note.
Drawbacks of Sandwich Technique
- Managers can be taken granted. It undermines their authority.
- Including positives may undermine the criticism involved, thus rendering that criticism ineffective
- It does not work in all situations.
- It does not work with everyone especially with vintage employees.
- If someone is really screwed up, you cannot use the Feedback sandwich.
- Sometimes people feel it is time consuming.
- They may distrust praise, as they will begin to anticipate the criticism.
- It may give them a diluted or inaccurate understanding of their performance.
No feedback technique works if the work relationship is not great. There needs to be a sense of mutual trust, and respect.